Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Home Away From Home

Well I have finally made it to Israel and settled in with my wonderful husband! I arrived here on September the 14th around 2:30pm Israeli time and haven’t regretted a minute of it. The weather here is wonderful. There hasn’t been a day below 90 degrees yet. Thomas and I usually leave our windows and door open until sundown. The evenings here are cool and pleasant, usually around 70-80 degrees.

My biggest JOY in being here has been spending time with Thomas like never before. I’m delighted each day to know I’m not leaving in a week. I’m here to stay with him. Our time away has made our time here together that much more special. I think our biggest joy as a couple since I have arrived has been shopping at the local markets, and decorating our home! I have posted some pictures of our cute little house with our decorations up. Thanks to my husband for hanging everything.








 


Thomas’s club pays for our housing, which is a huge blessing when living abroad. The club rents our house from a Yemenite Jewish family. They have two daughters; both are around Thomas’s age. One is married and lives next door with her husband, and baby boy and the other sister is finishing college and living at home. We have been invited for our first Shabbat (Sabbath) meal. This is a Jewish tradition in which they celebrate the Sabbat the evening before with a traditional prayer followed by a large feast. This moshav (village) has been here since 1953 when 100 families migrated over and decided to live together in one part of northern Israel. The moshav is very quite and sits on a large farm with cows and chickens which overlooks the lush and beautiful Jezreel Valley. Almost every home here has access to the farm and may in fact work there.

Before arriving I had anticipated to write on the blog once a week keeping our family and friends updated on what we are doing here in Megiddo, Israel.  However, having been here a week now I’m not sure I will be updating quiet so often as our life appears to be fairly simple. Our community here is similar to Franklin, NC in that it’s quite and remote from everything else. Megiddo is located in northern Israel and has been said to be one of the prettiest areas by the Israeli’s. Israel is made up of 80% desert but we have yet to see the dessert. Northern Israel is very green and lush filled with farms and gardens. We have been told that winter is the best season here when everything is green and flourishing from the rain. Our drive is quiet far to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, two of the most popular areas here. However, we sit right in between the Sea of Galilee and the Mediterranean Sea. Our closest two cities here are Haifa and Nazareth. Although we are a couple hours drive from the Dead Sea and Jerusalem we have every intention of traveling and spending lots of time there, but on Thomas’s schedule; as his first priority is to play ball.  Having said all this I will write as we travel and share our experiences and pictures of the places we visit. Once Thomas’s season starts I will be posting pictures, short video clips and articles of Thomas’s games. His first game is October the 11th. They have a game every Tuesday evening so I will post as soon as I get all my stuff loaded and together for all to view.

It’s been great sharing with you all. As Thomas and I travel and see more of the country we will be sharing so check in on us every now and then. A few weeks into October I will start the basketball blogging- My favorite part!!! Get ready for Yokneam-Megiddo Basketball.

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Kayla! I didn't know y'all were moving to Israel! Your new home is very cute....there's something about decorating that first home together. :) I look forward to reading about your adventures. You should check out our blog as well sometime! Hope you have sweet, wonderful times together while you are in Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little house!! it is so neat and clean. Glad to see THomas has adequate shoe storage too. :) I sure miss y'all and can't wait to hear more. ENJOY EVERY MOMENT! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog!! So glad to see you're doing well... and just so you know, I wish I could visit Israel because I love dessert ;) Just teasing you! Desert or dessert, I'd choose dessert for sure ;) Whitney Setser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that everything is going great! Please post often even if you think it's not a big deal! So much to see and learn! Rainy day in Franklin! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayla, I really enjoyed reading and looking at your photos. What a wonderful opportunity for you and your husband. I am Casey's Nanny Betty in Highlands. I will enjoy keeping up with your adventures.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete