Thursday, February 16, 2012

Country Hour and A Little Love

In the past week we’ve had a drive through the beautiful national parks while listening to “Country Hour” on a radio broadcast from Jordan, visited the World’s oldest port; Jaffa, and received two surprise packages full of love from special friends!

The first series of pictures comes from our lazy day drive in the sunshine with our windows down and country radio blasting through the local national parks. We decided to go for a drive after having lunch because the weather was so nice and wanted to check out the local parks around us. When we started we had no idea how long we would be out for, so we packed up some treats and hit the road. Shortly after beginning our journey through the park Thomas recognized a country song on the radio. When the song was over we heard, “Your listening to Jordan’s 96.3 Country Classic Hour.” We looked at each other, smiled, rolled the windows down some more and enjoyed the Country Classic Hour from Jordan’s radio broadcast. 
Never mind the road signs for yielding to pedestrians, we have to look out for cows!


 The lush and beautiful green grass makes you think spring is already here; some days it truly feels that way. We have had several days reach the 70s, and it is usually very sunny. My camera died on our adventure so I was unable to take more pictures of the views as we reached the top of Mount Gilboa. The gorgeous panoramic views are breath taking and is a must do again with a full charged camera on hand. Stay tuned as we reach spring; I’ll be sure to return again and post stunning panoramic views of Israel, and the Jezreel Valley.

Jaffa was a fun old city to visit with its marbled stone paths and vintage style art shops! Jaffa is located just south of Tel Aviv and borders the Mediterranean Sea. There must be history in the old city of Jaffa as its one of the oldest ports in the world.  Jaffa is believed to be the place Jonah shipped off from before being swallowed by the whale, and also has the house of “Simon the Tanner” where the New Testament records the apostle Peter stayed.  Also, The Old Testament reports that the ancient Cedars of Lebanon used to construct Solomon’s first temple were brought through this historic port of Jaffa.



 A view of Tel Aviv on an over cast day.



 leaving the old city.

 I packed a picnic lunch for us which we enjoyed along side the Jaffa Mariana. Pictures below are of real deal fishermen’s nets and tackle equipment.  These fishermen are still working full time, and go out each evening to fish in the Mediterranean sea. We saw several families living in their house boats docked in the Mariana as well. My favorite part as always was simply walking through the old city and taking in all that was surrounding us; from young school children getting their picture taken to the funky colored doors I had to have my picture taken with!










Oh special friends how they make you feel loved and warm inside! Our neighbor knocked on our door today to bring us not one package, but TWO packages! Thomas and I glanced at each other with eyes lit up, and I rushed to see who they were from! We had no idea we should be expecting a package, and we,  were so surprised! My sweet sister-in-law Caroline sent me some more yarn to keep me motivated and working on my knitting, along with a super cute “PINK” Liberty Basketball shirt my brother-in-law Jesse got for me! Thank you Caroline and Jesse for your thoughtfulness! I’m anxious to work on the next knitting project and Jess I’m already sporting my “PINK” Liberty basketball shirt!



Our second package came from another dear friend of mine from back home, Lindsey Powell. Lindsey and I become very close during our Sunday School class back home in Franklin. She moved from Tennessee to marry our Pastor! We were both teachers, both engaged, and both in the same class, so yes we hit it off! Since being in Israel I have really missed out on my women’s class at church. When I read the address on our package I knew exactly who had sent me a package, my sweet friend Lindsey! I was so excited to open it since I had no idea what to expect. The pictures below don’t say enough. Your card was the coolest thing ever; A map of the world on the front with a heart surrounding Franklin and a saying, “I’m lost without you.” How I miss my precious friends! She also packed a shoebox full of Valentines candy for not only me but for my sweetheart as well! I love you Lindsey Powell and miss you bunches! Thank you so much for sending us a package! I’ve already worn my cute fuzzy socks today and have eaten too much Valentine candy!




No comments:

Post a Comment