Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Recent Interview

 
I thought some of you might be interested in an interview my former roommate, Brittany Wilson has recently done on my life in Israel. This was a class assignment that she hopes to get published in  the Gardner-Webb University seasonal magazine. Hope you enjoy!!!






Small places, Same faces

By Brittany Wilson
 
Q. How has your relationship with fellow Alumni and Gardner-Webb basketball player Thomas Sanders matured since you graduated from Gardner-Webb University?
 
A. Our relationship was difficult earlier on as Thomas spent most of his time overseas playing basketball while I was still in school. However, I was able to visit him during breaks throughout the school year while he was in Spain and Iceland. Since our marriage in June, we moved to Israel and are thoroughly enjoying our time together.
 
Q. How did you react to Thomas’s offer to play in the Middle East?
 
A. After our marriage, we decided if Thomas accepted a contract this year, we would go together. After serious consideration and continuous prayer, my heart was finally at peace knowing this was the Lord’s plan for the next couple years of our life together. I was excited to know I could explore the Holy Land I had spent a lifetime learning about. Thomas signed a two-year contract with Euro league powerhouse club Maccabi Tel-Aviv. This season he is on loan from Maccabi Tel-Aviv to a club in northern Galilee called Yoqneam, Megiddo. So far, this has been a great decision for the both of us and we have no regrets as we continue to seek the Lord in his land.
 
Q. Which historical sites have you visited?
 
A. We have visited to the Old City Of Jerusalem on three separate occasions. During the course of our visits we walked the Via Delarosa, Golgotha, he Western Wall, Masada, the Dead Sea, The Mount of Olives and numerous other fascinating places. My favorite site thus far has been the Garden of Gethsemane, which is mentioned in the gospels as the place where Jesus prayed one of his most famous prayers of agony prior to his arrest and crucifixion and where Judas Iscariot betrayed him with a kiss. The garden was full of beautiful flowers and olive trees, but gave me such a quiet and peaceful feeling. Visiting the Holy Land and seeing so many places where Jesus actually walked and performed miracles is such a humbling feeling. It is so hard to comprehend how the birthplace of humanity and Christianity can be packed into such a small country. It’s simply incredible.
 
Q. Do you think living in Israel will make your faith grow stronger?
 
A. I think there is defiantly a difference between understanding the Bible and walking the same paths our Lord walked.  I already feel a stronger sense of closeness than I did upon my arrival, partly due to my desire to draw nearer to Him than ever before. The sites and the holy places in of themselves have not, and will not make our faith any stronger. They are incredible to see, as this was the land and the places where our Lord once lived.  However, our Faith is in a King who died for us, and our sins, and not in places or ancient artifacts of History.  Nevertheless what we can say is that as we are excited to be learning the geography and history of this amazing country. Through this experience we are gaining a stronger understanding of his word, and the journey he took his people on both in the New and Old Testament. 
 
Q. How does Boiling Springs, NC relate to the small town you reside in?
 
A. We both enjoyed the benefits of a small town in Boiling Springs because of how connected it made us feel to the people around us. We now reside in a small village consisting of about one hundred Jewish families that’s located in northern Israel, overlooking the Jezreel Valley. Once again, we really appreciate the slow pace of life we are accustomed to, however the church we are attending is very different. It is a Messianic Christian church located in the Mediterranean coastal city of Haifa. The consistent warm weather allows the service to be held on the large patio surrounding the outer walls of the church creating a unique atmosphere with its openness and fresh air. Since the people are extremely diverse, services are translated into Hebrew, English, Arabic, and Russian. The pastor has to stop every few sentences to allow a translator to relay his message to the Hebrew congregation. 
 
Q. Culturally, what’s hardest to adapt to?
 
A. For me it has mostly been the lack of familiarity within the aspects of driving and food. An odd but comforting adjustment has been the constant presence of the Israeli military personal. At first this was strange for me, that in virtually every restaurant, gas station, and park I would see young soldiers with sub-machine guns strapped to their sides. Every Israeli citizen is required to serve at least two years in the military and honor their country by being ready to defend their people at all times. Now, I find their presence very comforting, particularly in places of hostility and large crowds.
 
Q.  What are some of your personal plans for the duration of your stay?
 
A. After years of school I’m grateful to just simply relax. I realize this opportunity is once in a lifetime, so I plan to explore and travel often. I’ve arranged to volunteer by providing care for African refugees; mothers and children rescued from crossing the boarder because I’ve always had a desire to work with orphan. I also have started a blog. Once we got here, I wanted to provide a way for our family and friends to follow us to the places and experience the while discovering our place in this country. It became a way for me to post pictures and express my feelings and thoughts on the places we were going to visit, plus track Thomas’ season. This blog has become apart of my daily ritual to share all that’s going on in our live in Megiddo, Israel.
Brittany Wilson

Special thanks to Britt for choosing me to interview!!! Love you. 

3 comments:

  1. Pea im so honored that you wanted to post this on your blog for everyone to read :)) i love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I enjoyed it. I will keep following along.
    Lv steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'm excited for this opportunity for you & Thomas!

    ReplyDelete